Monday, November 24, 2008

Still going to networking events?

By: Crystal Liazuk and Michael Rocha

I have been to a few networking events, and I have to say it’s like watching VHS instead of streaming HD movies online, it’s very old school. I know a professional who has gone to networking events once a month for the past 8 years. This “group” has twenty to thirty members and holds networking events around Tampa. It’s the same guys, who talk about the same old things, who accomplish the same results, nothing. I told this professional about linkedIn, and of course he thought it was too impersonal, but I convinced him what a great tool it was. To make a long story short, he networked with more professionals in one week on linkedIn than he did in 8 years of attending networking events.

I’m not saying I will never go to another networking event again, but I would rather be working than attending networking events. Think about it, you may speak to 20 people at networking event and put in an extra 2-3 hours on your work day and not even make a new connection. Wouldn't you rather email 200-300 professionals who you really want to network with? It takes me a few clicks to reach a few hundred professionals and takes some people hours to speak with 20 professionals who may not be your best connection.

No comments: